7.10.2007

rescue dawn

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Just finished werner herzog's latest film, RESCUE DAWN. This is first english speaking narrative feature, at least as far as I know, and it is also by far his best narrative since STROSZEK. Like I always say, I don't review films here, but just want to give some props to ol' Herzog. RESCUE fits wonderfully Werner's library of pain. Jungle, starvation, torture, prevalent as AGUIRRE or FITZCARRALDO, only this time instead of Kinski or Bruno S. we have Christian Bale. Bale is great as always, and this is i'm sure is his most powerful performance to date, but I have to say the Steve Zahn was equally impressive. I've only seen a couple movie's with Zahn, and they are usually stupid comedies as far as I can remember. He's shed his stoner shield and stepped up to the plate. Anyone who can equal Bale within a scene has got something going. As far as directing, it's Herzog as usual. Detached, almost unemotional, somehow bleak with green foliage. The only difference between this and his other films, is that the jungle doesn't win. RESCUE DAWN is based on the true story of DIETER DENGLER, whom Herzog made a documentary called LITTLE DIETER NEEDS TO FLY. I don't care if you see the film or not, but you're a dummy if you don't.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket