6.10.2008

joe beimel is cool


joe beimel has gained "cult status" as a dodgers middle reliever. a couple years back, while in new york, the night before a playoff game, joe cut his hand, drunk at a bar, and wasn't able to pitch the whole series. a series in which they were swept. la hated him for 6 months, but now, he's the bee's knees. he was also voted in for a bobblehead this year, which blows my mind.

notownts: What kind of music do you like?

Beimel: Pretty much listen to everything. When I say everything, I mean everything except techno or death metal, but my first love is punk rock. I grew up listening to punk rock, so I'd have to say out of everything, that's probably my favorite.

9000: How does it feel to be selected by the fans for the bobblehead promotion?

Beimel: It feels outstanding. It's just one of those things that as a player, you don't really ever expect but it's very flattering. It's just something I never thought would happen. I think I told somebody this, that it was one of my guarantees in life like death and taxes. The third one for me was that I'd never have a bobblehead, so I guess you never say never.

bnkrboy: What's your song when you come out of the bullpen and why?

Beimel: I don't have one. It's Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, but they've only played it twice. I want God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash, but they won't play that for me.


joe_dodger: Joe, what does your tattoo "Only God know why" mean?

Beimel: I guess it is what it is. Only God knows why certain things happen and you can't really explain it, but usually it's for the best.

cbg3: Do you choose to eat a strict diet during the season? What's conditioning like during the season?

Beimel: I don't have a strict diet. I lose a lot of weight during the season, so I eat whatever I can. It doesn't matter if it's healthy or not. Conditioning-wise, I don't like to run, so I do what the strength and conditioning guy suggests and I'll lift once in a while. But, I don't work out much during the season because my workouts are on the mound.

kayy911: Do you like playing as yourself in video games?

Beimel: I don't play baseball games in video games. I have a few times just to see what it's like, and it's definitely cool to see yourself or how they people who make the games perceive you. In all the games I've seen, I don't have a sinker and that's my main pitch, so that's kind of funny.