1.20.2007

children of men

i usually don't write reviews on films because i rarely go to out to see them these days, and for the most part they are all terrible. last year i saw THE NEW WORLD twice. New World was directed by Terrence Malick and shot by Emmanuel Lubezki.

Terrence Malick and Emmanuel Lubezki devised a series of photography rules or dogma that are to be used in film. They are:
1) No artificial lights. All is shot in natural light.
2) No crane or dolly shots, just handheld or Steadicam shots.
3) Everything is shot in the subjective view.
4) All shots must be 'deep-focus shots', that is everything (foreground and background) is visible and focused.
5) You (the camera crew) are encouraged to go and shoot unexpected things that might happen in accident or if your instinct tells you so.
6) Selective shots: any shot that does not have visual strength is not used.

I really like this Dogma. I am scattered today, and I remember what I wanted to say. CHILDREN OF MEN is Directed by Alfonso Cuaron and shot by Emmanuel Lubezki. I was very hesitant about seeing it, because I really don't like Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN or HARRRY POTTER part 3. I don't know anything about Harry Potter. Anyways. CHILDREN OF MEN is grim and beautiful and amazing and I loved it. The cinematography is mind blowing and Clive Owen and Michael Caine are charming as always. I won't write a review. I am going to go see it again tomorrow. That's all.