1.22.2008

Heath Ledger is gone

I really didn't believe it at first, when I heard that Heath Ledger died this morning. He seems far too successful to die. He's young, every girl love him, every Director wants him, he's starring in the latest Batman film. He's the top of the A-List. People like him don't die. Brad Renfro dies. He's been in trouble since he was a kid. He was on the left hand path. You expect that he's on his way out, actually surprised when he did die that he was still alive the day before.

Heath Ledger is a different kind of death. It sits inside you for a couple days, resonating, dimming the brightness of the soul. I don't understand why this happens. I don't know him, don't care about him, I've never thought about him for more than a split minute. It's like a light went off somewhere, and you just can't pinpoint where it was, but the the world seems a little darker, and a little less interesting. Maybe that's just me.

Strange. Especially since we'll be seeing him play the ultra drugged up looking Joker very soon. The light of him left is projected through celluloid, cinema is immortal.